To Honor the Fallen

How do we honor the fallen?

We love, we laugh, we cry

Every day.

How do we honor the fallen?

We sleep, we awaken

Every day.

How do we honor the fallen?

We work, we play

Every day.

How do we honor the fallen?

Time with our families, our friends

Every day.

How do we honor the fallen?

We travel, we rest

Every day.

How do we honor the fallen?

We marvel at the oceans, the mountains, the sky

Every day.

How do we honor the fallen?

With every breath

Every day.

Every day is Memorial Day.

Al Hood 2019

About Al

Retired from a couple of professions, trying my hand at writing about the events in our lives.
This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to To Honor the Fallen

1. This is perfect Al. I am so glad you share your talent with the rest of us.

2. jfh says:

Very nicely said… as I flew back this week from my Dakotas/Wyoming trip, I sat next to a man on the airplane that was probably my age and had been a Marine during the Vietnam era…we talked about the lack of respect given then to veterans and the military and how grateful we were that has changed.

I also liked the picture you included. Well done and thank you for the reflective words. jfh

• Al says:

Hi Janet. That’s nice that you got to talk with the gentleman on the plane. I served during Vietnam but never went in-country. Lately I have started started something that another blogger suggested. When I run across someone with a Vietnam veteran hat or patch, I tell them welcome home. They didn’t get that back then and it was a terrible miscarriage of justice.

3. Anonymous says:

Lovely, Al.

4. Pingback: It’s Not Just A Day Off | jansenschmidt

5. Margy says:

I expect you do them all very well, but especially the laugh part.

6. Beautifully stated. You have a gift for poetry.

Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

7. Jeri Moore says:

I like it Al – it gets to the heart.

8. bernicehg6@gmail.com says:

Stunning. Powerful in it’s simplicity. Well done, my friend.

Your turn to write, but please don't be wittier than me. My ego is quite fragile.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s