Since moving here we have started a ritual of walking over to the beach every morning and evening with Queenie, our Labrador Retriever, for a game of fetch. It involves the greatest invention since the internal combustion engine, the ubiquitous “Chuck-It.” This clever device really levels the playing field for those of us in our later years of human development. Working much like a catapult, it allows anyone to pretend they are the Sandy Koufax of the beach. (Get it?…Sandy….oh, well) Anyway, following are my top 10 reasons to own a Chuck-it:
1. Avoiding surgery because you tore your rotator cuff while throwing fetch with your dog.
2. Giving your dog a stress free, low impact workout while you calmly sip coffee from your Starbucks, obscenely overpriced, state-of-the-art, insulated, go anywhere cup.
3. Bringing back great childhood memories of when you were well-known and admired for throwing out runners at home plate with that golden arm of yours.
4. You can pick the ball up with it without bending too much, thereby preserving what little is left of your 3rd lumbar disk.
5. The dog does all the work and then asks for more.
7. You have an attack dog to defend you when that beach bully kicks sand in your face.
8. If you throw it too far out for the dog, the porpoises will bring it back to you.
9. It’s a good way to meet the 150,000 other dog owners in the neighborhood.
10. And last, but most importantly, it provides an easy topic for a blogger who would rather be at the beach.